1. Say hello to The Humming Giraffe’s new mascot. I picked him up in Ottawa when I was walking around ByWard Market. He was just sitting on a table and calling out to me. His name is Johnny after Johnny Canuck. He’ll be hanging around next season and hopefully bringing the Canucks some luck. He looks like a good cheerleader, doesn’t he?
2. The Canucks opened their baby prospect conditioning camp this week. The newest baby Canucks should be there too. All our prospects that I’ve heard interviewed seem very smart and well spoken. I’m really looking forward to seeing who can make the big club in training camp.
Michael Grabner has apparently been working out like a fiend because he had nothing else to do in Manitoba. Hopefully that will pay off for him this year.
Patty White is paying for everything himself while in Vancouver, so he doesn’t lose his college eligibility. That’s pretty awesome, and shows he’s really dedicated to making the NHL. He also said he wore his Canucks gear in the middle of Minnesota Wild country all the time and took a bunch of abuse for it. The boy is on his way to being a fan favourite already. He got rid of his draft year hair cut, which I think was a very good move. His hot bitch quotient has grown exponentially with the new hair.
3. Prab Rai, who the Canucks drafted 131st overall is East Indian and a local boy from Surrey. He sounds over the moon about getting drafted by the Canucks. That’s pretty cool. I don’t actually know of any other players of East Indian descent in the NHL. Mats Froshaug who they took 161st overall is Norwegian. He played for Norway at the world championships and sounds quite talented. He has that sleeper pick vibe to me. I like that the Canucks are turning more international. Maybe it’s because I watched this draft live, but I think the Canucks picks sound really great.
4. All of the Canucks draft people wore guitar pins on their suits in honour of Luc Bourdon on the weekend. Luc played the guitar and loved to play Guitar Hero. I thought that was very classy and sweet. I figured there would probably be a black arm band on the Canucks uniforms next season, but it would nice if they used the guitar idea too.
5. The lovely wraparoundcurl is doing a Hottie Hockey Dreamy Team contest.